Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Thursday 11 January 2018

11th Jan 2018: Shoveler

I was up at the reservoir early today and joined a little later by John. I managed to pick out a 2CY Yellow-legged Gull in the gloom before it and most of the other gulls departed for the day. A drake Shoveler was new for the year list and there was also a pair of Tufted Ducks.

In the woodland there was at least three Siskins, which flew south, and behind the woodland there was a small flock of Linnets. The Song Thrushes have been singing since the start of the year, which is fairly normal, but I was a little surprised to hear a Treecreeper singing today. On my way back I managed to see the Stonechat thanks to John pointing out where it was (at last!).

It's worth noting that so far we have already seen over half the number of species recorded last year. I wonder if we can beat 2016's species count of 128? Happy bird spotting everyone!

Courtesy and copyright of JFt

No comments:

Post a Comment