Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Saturday 13 May 2017

13th May 2017: Dunlin

I think it's fair to say that it's been a very quiet week. It was so dull that I think John stopped even trying to pick out highlights from his trips!

On Sunday (7th) Steve had one Common Sandpiper and a Little Ringed Plover at the reservoir and a Reed Warbler singing in the reeds along the river just north of the flood alleviation scheme. John has had a Little Ringed Plover a few times too but that was the only notable bird.

Today I thought I'd have a look around and see what was happening. To start with it was dreadfully quiet but later on two Dunlin had dropped in and the Little Ringed Plover was with them. Also, in the Upper Cherwell Valley there were two Reed Warblers along the river where Steve had one on Sunday. In the wood a Rook chick had apparently fallen out the nest, I see at least one every year and I assume they just tumble out whilst stretching their wings. there was also a Blue Tit nesting in one of the Willow Tit boxes and heard a Sparrowhawk calling, making me think they are nesting again, but I couldn't see where.

Blue Tit nesting in this box



No comments:

Post a Comment