Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Friday 27 March 2015

27th Mar 2015: Spring Passage

An early visit this morning as migration is well under way and it looked possible that conditions might deliver a few fresh migrants. Walking up the bank between the river and the reservoir there was at least five Chiffchaffs, three singing and two more feeding in the low vegetation by the path.

Scanning around the reservoir there wasn't a lot of note. The Coot still present and eight Great Crested Grebes still, pairs sometimes displaying to each other but not quite the full show yet. Stood scanning again I heard a plover call, Little Ringed Plover. As I looked around high and low the calls got more frequent but I couldn't see them. I eventually found them stood on the west hand back up the embankment on the grass. I managed to watch them feeding for a short time but a Crow spooked hem and they left high to the north.


A few small groups of Meadow Pipits and wagtails were also passing overhead on their way north. There are at least three Reed Buntings singing today and a displaying Greenfinch was nice to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment